Benefits of Belonging
From our By-laws: “The objective of The Association shall be to support and promote the economic strength and viability of Hotchkiss, Colorado, and surrounding areas, in a manner which is deemed to be harmonious with the social interests of the community.”
What does the Chamber do & why should I join?
Chamber membership provides many tangible benefits, but we would also suggest that many of the benefits are less-than-tangible. Will your $75 membership prove to be a good investment? We believe so. Will it pay you back dollar for dollar – or better? We can’t really answer that, but what we do know is that a community that acts like a community - that is, one that bands together to reach common goals – will be more successful than a similar number of individuals all acting alone. In other words, the old adage rings true… “There is strength in numbers”. And whether it’s for tourist promotion, efforts to promote local economic health, downtown development, or even support for community events, a critical mass of support is essential for success.
Many Chamber members feel that the non-tangible benefits, in themselves, are a bargain. Below is a brief outline of what the Chamber provides to its members and to the larger community…
- We answer daily inquiries received via phone, email and website contact form.
- We produce print promotional materials including a town brochure [Link] a walking map and town postcards.
- We promote Chamber and member events and disseminate news via press release, print advertising, social media, our visitor information kiosk, town signboards and our weekly e-newsletter (see policy)
- We maintain an up-to-date information-rich website to serve the needs of members and visitors.
- We maintain an unmanned information kiosk at 400 State Highway 133 on the east end of Hotchkiss, where members are encouraged to stock their promotional materials (see policy)
- We maintain three “Welcome to Hotchkiss” signs, each with informational signboards – one at each highway entrance to Hotchkiss - and manage these to promote local events and to share information relevant to our members and the community (see policy).
- We publish an e-newsletter each Thursday to promote the interests of our members and the larger community. Click here to subscribe.
- We coordinate with the Town of Hotchkiss, One Delta County, Delta County Tourism, the Delta County Fairgrounds, other County Chambers of Commerce and the West Elk Scenic Loop Byway in order to further the common objectives we all share.
- We hold an annual Arts Crafts & Business Fair the Friday & Saturday before Thanksgiving each year, and promote associated craft fairs and other business promotions happening at that time.
- We host a town holiday decorating contest in December each year.
- We promote, through all channels, the town’s events over Mother’s Day weekend (Dog Trials, Ute Trails Car Club, annual show, community-wide yard sales, etc.)
- We facilitate large tour events such as Ride the Rockies bicycle tour, The Colorado Grand , and others, which benefit the community through funds raised and visitor exposure to the North Fork Valley.
- We manage a “New Neighbor Welcome Bag” program, with help from the Town of Hotchkiss, which allows members to provide informational and promotional materials to new residents to the area.
- We maintain a web-based member business directory exposing our member businesses to a larger audience.
- We hold periodic Business After Hours and Ribbon Cutting events, which along with our monthly member meetings and an annual meeting, all provide opportunities for our members to network and socialize with their peers and socialize with their peers.
Our resources include:
♦ Visitor Information Kiosk. 400 Highway 133, on east side of Hotchkiss.
♦ Three event Sign-Boards at each Hotchkiss entrance – available for rent.
♦ Regular email communication with members and friends about community and business events, tourism, and economic items -- connecting with county, regional and state issues of interest to our members.
♦ Publication of Hotchkiss postcards, available from Hotchkiss merchants.
Our activities include:
♦ Coordination with the Town of Hotchkiss and other civic organizations on downtown improvement projects (DTIP), including the annual flower program, funding and installation of attractive, functional infrastructure, and the DTIP facebook page.
♦ Collaboration with Crawford and Paonia Chambers on periodic North Fork Valley Business Symposiums.
♦ The November Holiday Arts, Crafts, and Business Fair, and Holiday Lighting Contest.
♦ Promotional support for the annual Hotchkiss Sheep Camp Stock Dog Trials.
♦ Facilitating visits from out-of-area organizations such as The Colorado Grand & Ride the Rockies.
♦ Coordination and distribution of HCCC members' donations for New Neighbor Gift Bags.
♦ Monthly Board meetings, and Annual Membership Meeting celebrating Business, Non-profit, and Citizen of the Year.
♦ Responding to diverse inquiries from travelers, residents, and members, about businesses, vacation information, lodging, and more.