Sheep Camp Stockdog Trials—May 10-12
What a weekend it was!
* 10th Annual Hotchkiss Sheep Camp Stockdog Trials.
* All Roads Lead to Hotchkiss Yards Sales.
* Classic Car Show at Zacks.
* 4th Annual 5K Run.
* Hotchkiss Fire House Pancake Breakfast.
If you missed it ----- Plan for Mothers' Day Weekend in 2014!
Annual Hotchkiss Flower Planting Days May 3rd & 4th
This project has been a true collaboration among diverse segments of the community, and these two days were extraordinary!
We've heard many positive comments all over the community about how great it is to have the flowers and we've had our first request for a memorial planter. We will be adding another level of community participation by decorating the planters with community themes: ranching, mining, agriculture, and the beauty of our North Fork Valley home.
Businesses, the Town of Hotchkiss, groups and individuals have contributed materials, plants, compost ,and Time:
• Todd Enterprises donated lumber to build our new planters.
• West Elk Mine (Mountain Coal) donated bolts for the construction of the planters.
• West Elk Mine engineer and Town of Hotchkiss trustee Dustyn Foster designed the planters.
• Hotchkiss High School FFA/Vo-Ag and shop students pitched in and built 6 planters.
• Student Cody Gallob provided a truck and trailer and helped move the assembled planters.
• Hotchkiss High School STUCO brought 20 students to help refurbish last years barrel planters.
• North Fork Organics donated 2 yards of compost
• Paonia Home and Farm gave a 25% discount to enable us to buy potting soil made in Paonia.
• Lost Mesa Flower Company is selling to us wholesale with a discount added AND donated many flowers also.
• The Town of Hotchkiss Public Works Dept helped us to improve our watering system by providing us with a 250 gallon water tank (yay! we can irrigate with a hose now). They also provided the use of a tractor with forklift attachment to move the planters from the high school to town.
• Deputy Marshal Chad Lloyd donated a morning to operate the forklift.
• Grant from NFV Heart and Soul.
• Members of the Creative Coalition are making safety vests for the volunteer waterers.
And, many community members have pitched in and volunteered their time every step of the way.
The planters are a cooperative project of the Hotchkiss Community Chamber of Commerce and the Town of Hotchkiss, each extending the other’s resources in making this possible.
If you or your organization or business would like to help sponsor, adopt a planter(s) or provide volunteer help for the planter/down town beautification project please call coordinator Tom Wills at 872-2664 during the day or e-mail to Hotchkiss@aol.com, or Mary Hockenbery 872-3448 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hotchkiss is Happening on Facebook!
The Hotchkiss Community Chamber of Commerce provides local businesses an opportunity to tap into essential connections:
To business peers;
To vital ideas;
To its home community.
Our work is broad in approach, but focused in mission---- to promote a healthy business climate in the North Fork Valley and to enhance the overall quality of life in our community.
We undertake this work in a spirit of collaboration---often working cooperatively with other local civic and business organizations.
The North Fork Valley website, created jointly by the Hotchkiss and Paonia Chambers of Commerce, demonstrates that the fruits of working together often surpass individual efforts.
Together, we continually work to assure that the website is a dynamic and indispensable resource, not only to the visitor to the North Fork Valley, but to the local business community and the residents of our beautiful and unique valley.
The Hotchkiss Chamber is a body of about 90 local community-minded business men and women. Our governing body is elected and all-volunteer, without a paid staff or physical office, which means we are as effective as the involvement of our members.
Our core resources, tasks and activities throughout the year include:
Please contact the Chamber if you would like to become involved in our organization or if you feel we could provide you assistance.